Sunday, May 02, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is here... and Oracle?

And I'm somewhat disappointed.

Install woes

I tried installing on a separate disk, a 300GiB Samsung 321KJ.
The first installation attempt failed in the cleaning up phase, at 89%.
The second attempt failed with a read error, and the advice to clean my CD lens or move to a colder area.
Fourth attempt, after checking the installation CD for errors: ditto.
Fifth attempt, other disk (same brand, model and age): ditto.

Most annoying is the lack of feedback on the install proces, and even CTRL-[Funtion keys 1-4] will not display a text box with your error (or standard) output.

Alas...and an alternative install

Gave up on installing 10.04 off a CD. Installed 9.10 (which took about 30 minutes, and went OK), logged on, and allowed the system to update to 10.04 LTS. That took about one-and-a-half hour. Configuring NOT to play that hideous sound on startup, use colors I do NOT dislike, install Thunderbird and VirtualBox and remove IM, Chat and Evolution: another 5 minutes.

Oracle on Ubuntu

I gave up. I did not even try to install any Oracle product on 10.04. Oh, they probably will run, with some tweaking and stuff; after all I managed to get 10G database and Application Server running on 9.10.

But Oracle usually runs on stable versions; once released it looks like it's already falling behind. Therefor I abandoned the idea running Oracle directly under Ubuntu, but use CentOS/RHES instead in virtual machine environments. Ubuntu simply is too much "cuttin' edge" to my liking.
So - now I have a CentOS 5.4 basic Server install with XWindows and that's about it.

Installing CentOS 5.4

I used a net based install. CentOS 5.4 supports FTP and HTTP based installations using a special, only 8.9MB (yup - MegaByte!) bootable install ISO. I discarded about all options, apart from the Server install (no GUI) and XWindows (OUI needs XWindows, although using Ubuntu as Xserver would be possible, too).
Choose a non-expanding virtual disk, as the database and expanding volumes do not mix-and-match. 32GB should do the trick.

Clone your Box

Unfortunately, there's no 'Duplicate' option in VB, so you'll have to do it by hand, which is surprisingly simple: run Export Appliance, followed by Import Applicance. Change the name of the Virtual machine, so you won't end up with two machines with the same name.

Meet db10 - my 10GRel2 database server


Fire it (the cloned machine, not the baseline!) up, change ip-address (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, I used 192.168.1.230) and hostname (/etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network, sysctl kernel.hostname=db10) and Bob's your uncle.

8 comments:

Tim... said...

Hi.

I had some issues with 1Ubuntu 0.04. It installed great as a VM with no worries. Tried it on real hardware and it got very confused because I had two network cards. I got that working, but had a few issues with other bits of software including VMware Server, so I switched back to boring but stable CentOS 5 as the host OS.

Cheers

Tim...

Frank said...

Not using VMWare, but VirtualBox. And I'm trying the opposite: run CentOS virtually on top of Ubuntu.
Like Ubuntu as desktop, but have given up on using it as server (never tried the server edition, though...)

Tim... said...

Hi.

Yes, I realized what you were doing. :)

VirtualBox seemed to work fine on Ubuntu for me, but I need VMware Server as I need shared disks between VMs for RAC installations. VirtualBox doesn't do this, unless you use NFS, so VMware is my killer App. The fact VMware Server doesn't work well on Ubuntu kinda drops it off the list as a server OS for me.

Good luck.

Cheers

Tim...

Frank said...

I seem to remember VirtualBox supports iSCSI? Will see if I can find something on that. Have a Synology NAS that will allow to set up iSCSI targets. Yet something more to learn about...
Tomorrow is a day off in The Netherlands, so I have some time on my hands.
But VirtualBox does support shared folders, which are mount points in the Virtual OS. Make that an NFS mount in the Guest OS, and Bob should be your Uncle (Now, where does that come from?!?)

Tim... said...

RAC on NFS is no worries. Can even use files on NFS as filesystems for ASM. Just can't use a straight shared virtual disk on VirtualBox. That's my problem. :)

Cheers

Tim...

Anonymous said...

Eindelijk iets echts voor Oracle ? CentOS i.p.v. Ubuntu... ;-) Ubunutu is voor de desktop, CentOS voor de server... ;-)

Frank said...

Menco, Ubuntu is simply too far ahead all the time. Libraries change and all that. I just don't feel like trying to figure out what to tweak anymore. I like Ubuntu desktop, have never tried the server edition, which I admitted earlier. For some (easy) tests, I just run VirtualBox. "Serious" stuff runs off the machinery in my "server room"

Tim... said...

Based on our previous posts I thought you might like to see this:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/UsingNFSWithASM.php

You can use ASM with NFS if you really want to practice ASM + RAC, but don't have a VM solution that supports shared drives. It works OK, if a little slow.

Cheers

Tim...

PS. Release cycle is scarily fast in Ubuntu and Fedora for a business context. Most businesses I've worked with upgrade at a snails pace. :)